Monday 21 November 2011

The Ideal Home Shambles


I'd gotten free tickets from work for the Ideal Home Show - Christmas. I've always found it hard to say no to free tickets, so yesterday I and the flatmate braved the TFL weekend chaos (engineering work overrunning, apparently, which resulted in a 30 minute bus Odyssey) and trekked over to Earls Court to check out what all the fuss was about.

Now, this is probably a good time to mention that I love home improvement shows, especially Grand Designs, which despite having the most critical and negative presenter (who, in the end, always is full of surprise that the people building the house actually did it) is amazing. So there was I being all starry eyed, expecting something like a mahoosive Ikea showroom with all kinds of Christmas shinies.

It was nothing like that at all.

In reality, it was a giant sales thing of all kinds of rubbish. What the f**k has jewellery to do with home furnishing??? Tarot reading, anyone?? How about a bit of fashion show?

There was a bit of furniture and a tiny bit of Christmas decorations, but there was an awful lot of other shit as well. In the end we acquired a wreath (£8.50, not the most amazing thing but it'll do), I got a tasty vegan curry and some chocolate marshmallows. Nicki went all out and bought loads of stuff, including my birthday present (which I'm already looking forward to).

It wasn't the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon, but Ideal Home it was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment