Saturday 20 March 2010

The Sultans Of Frizz


I'm having serious issues with my hair. It must be a mixture of horribly hard London water, winter air (cold outside, warm & too dry inside), not getting it cut that often anymore (i.e. more split ends) and my hair generally being pissed off. I think it didn't take kindly to having been braided into dreads last summer & then exposed to a week of alcaline dust & sun as well.

It's frizzy as fuq and when I finally manage to get it to be flat & shiny, it goes into full static mode. I only wash my hair every 2 or 3 days because it's so dry & I dread blow-drying it because it will go "poof" straight afterwards. The only way to make the situation bearable is to tie it into a ponytail, but I obviously can't do that all the time & I doubt it makes things better in the long term.

One solution would be to get my hair cut again, but I don't know what kind of style I want at the moment & sort of like the idea of growing it for a while & anyway, my hairdresser has disappeared to Australia & his replacement is shite. I hate finding a new hairstylist because you have to find someone who understands what you want & who speaks your "language" (best case scenario is to be able to just say "do what you want" & it comes out awesome). I've got fine, very straight hair & lots of it. It's notoriously difficult to cut & most hairstyles just don't work for me. My hair rejects any kind of styling effort & even manages to escape out of elaborate braids (unless I don't wash it for a week, which is what I did before getting it braided into dreads).

Cue total panic when hairstylist told me he's off to Australia. For good.

I know I'll have to face a hairdresser again soon, but until then it would be nice if my hair would just behave & not turn into a giant ball of fuzz everytime I wash it.

So I thought it would probably be a good idea to treat it with a deep conditioner & maybe coax it into being more manageable. This involved washing my hair in the evening because in the mornings when I usually wash it I don't have time to spend half an hour waiting for the conditioner to work. I'd found a leave-in hair moisturizer in one of my drawers which I'd most likely bought last winter & decided to go for it.

Bad idea. Really bad idea.

Maybe it was because I've used the cheapest stuff available at Superdrug (very likely), but it was thoroughly unenjoyable. The stuff looked like clear, slighly yellow snot & left my hair feeling strange & sticky. The frizz was still there, but now there's also stickyness. According to my colleagues it looked alright & shiny, but I can't stand the way my hair feels now & anyway, the "poof" effect is still present.

I've now bought Aussie Miracle Frizz Remedy & intend to give that a try either tonight or tomorrow (i.e. next time I wash my hair). It can only be better than what is happening on my head right now.

I want summer back. I'd even settle for spring. Any season when my usual shampoo & conditioner combo (Tigi's Catwalk Honey & Oatmeal) works.

On another, hair-unrelated note, I'm not going to the Natural History Museum today because Pinky is busy fighting O2 for some reason or other. It's grey & quite possibly wet outside, so a stroll around Camden is not very appealing. I think I'll bus it down to Oxford Street & explore one of the big department stores this afternoon, which is something I've been meaning to do for, errr, years. Who knows, I migth find something nice.

Oh, and I'm still loving my rebounder. I did a 20 minute session last night, in the not so long term I want to get up to a full 30 minutes bouncing. I'm getting the feeling that the springs get noisier the more I use the trampoline, which is not good but nothing I can change. So far I haven't got any results in regards to weight loss, but I've only been exercising for a week now & I'm not exactly watching what I eat. I haven't put on weight despite stuffing my face with nuts & sweets, so that's a good thing.

Next week will be busy with a gig (Dan Le Sac), playing silly games at the V&A and quite possibly my first ever barn dance. Bring it on, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment