Saturday 8 January 2011

Tron: Legacy


After quite a long time of abstinence (for my standards), I've made it to the movies again on Tuesday. The film I chose to start the a new year of movie going with was Tron: Legacy, and we went to see it in the IMAX, in sparkling 3D, because this is how this film should be viewed.

If at all.

I've seen the original Tron on TV, sometime when I was a teenager. I remember kinda being impressed by it back then, it was kinda cool & different & geeky. Don't remember much of the story, though, and the sequel seems to have the same issue. The story is just a bit naff, it tries to be geeky & technological, but it just never quite gets there. Basically, in summary, boy gets sucked into computer world ruled by an evil programme, finds long lost father, falls in love, then has to sacrifice long lost father to save himself & the girl.

Ahem.

Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely shiny, and the soundtrack by Daft Punk is impressive and just as 80s as it can be (not sure why anyone would try to be 80s, though).

Did I mention it's shiny?

 

There's an awful lot of light-cycling, light-fighting, light-anything around. It's very, very stylish. It's actually a bit like The Matrix at times, only it's trying too hard and The Matrix did have more of a story (we don't talk about the sequels, really, we don't) and slightly less shiny-ness.


There was some eye-candy around. I definitely appreciate eye-candy.


Olivia Wilde, of House fame (she played "Thirteen"), was tasty. I want that hair. I also want the shoes. Not sure about the suit, but if I had her figure I'd probably go for it as well. I spent at least half of the film wondering where I know her from and then the other half following her every move. Jeff Bridges, on the contrary, was less impressive. Let's just say that CGI still has a long way to go before it looks anything like the real thing and his acting as the father was more like the Dude but in a glow-in-the-dark bathrobe. Not sure who played the son & really don't care that much.

All things considered, it's about 3 out of 5 slightly blue-glowing movie stars. I'd like to be more impressed, but I simply wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment