Sunday 10 January 2010

Buttons Down



There was a plan to do absolutely nothing this weekend. I sort of managed on Friday evening, which I spent in front of the TV.

Yesterday got a bit more active, John came over in the late afternoon & we watched some war-documentary type movie. Can't remember the name, it didn't really grip me. After that, we bussed over to his place so he could get ready for going out. Picked up some take-away en-route & I got to watch most of Planet Terror while he took a bath. It's not the best movie, even as far a zombie movies go & you can't apply to high a standard for zombie movies in the first place (although Zombieland is a huge exception, it's absolutely excellent). But it's cool. It's Rob Rodriguez, it's made of cool. Still, in the Grindhouse series I very much prefer Deathproof. It's awesome & features probably the sexiest car chase you'll ever see. 

Anyway, John got himself dressed up & ready before I got to the end of the movie, which means I'll have to watch the (undoubtedly) gory end sometime.

John had suggested to go check out Buttoned Down Disco @ Koko, which was free with invitation flyer before 10pm. We rocked up shortly before that, being stingy & all that. Koko as a venue is brilliant, an old theatre with all the trimmings. It would be so great to have Planet Angel there one time, but it might be just a tad too big for that. But this wasn't a psytrance night, it was an Indie/Alternative/Electro/Punk/Funk thing. Whatever that means. The first hour our to was nice, but then it started to get terribly crowded & people started to get annoyingly drunk. The crowd was young, lots of them only a year or so over 18 (presumably) & all they did was drink & subsequently stumble about on the dancefloor, thinking they're cool-as-fuck but in reality they were just getting on my nerves. It didn't help that they all congregated on the dancefloor (the meat market), then stood around or bumped their ass into yours. Not fun. Maybe I'm just really spoiled, but I prefer happy, loved-up munters to stumbling, farting(!) drunks any time.

Events worth noting: They played Hey Boy, Hey Girl, which had me bouncing around like mad on the balcony (were there was space). I got attacked by a Brasilian snog monster... I suppose that's what you get for smiling at drunk people. I walked past, smiled, he got that slightly wrong and attached his mouth to mine. It was a good 5 minutes (not all unpleasant, mind) before I could untangle myself & head back to the dancefloor. Sometime later I had a nice tattoo show-and-tell with a cute guy, who I suppose was flirting with me but I just didn't get it. Got very annoyed at myself for not spotting the obvious, tried to find him again but couldn't. Well, he most likely was way too young anyway.


We called it a night at 1.30am, which made us feel slightly old (well, we were) but I just couldn't stand another minute with the kids.

It was an experience, that's for sure.

The plan for today is to venture down to the shops & not do a lot more. Possibly watch the end of Planet Terror. Maybe some TV. Cook food should I feel really adventurous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment